Monday, January 7, 2008

Anniversaries

This week has two anniversaries. One good, one bad. This past weekend was the one-year anniversary of my wife's miscarriage, something that I wrote about last April and that had a rather wider audience than I ever expected. Needless to say, this was not a milestone we celebrated, except in the sense that we are glad that her pregnancy now is going well. I don't even know if she remembers the signficance of the dates this past weekend. I certainly didn't remind her. Especially given that Friday night she started having contractions that lasted all night and then she spent all day on Saturday in the hospital, alone (I was home with the two-year old), for tests. I wasn't worried, though - the contractions weren't that strong, and I remembered something similar with our daughter, even if she didn't, that turned out to be nothing. Still, it made for a long, exhausting weekend. As I thought, it was nothing - there's less than a 1% chance she'll go into preterm labor in the next two weeks, according to all the tests they did. And even if she did, the baby would probably be fine, since she's at 32 weeks now. Still, I'd much rather we go full term, for many reasons.

So while this anniversary is nothing we'd want to "celebrate" we don't feel bad right now because everything is going well with baby number two. Well, except for our lack of a name. We know its a boy. But we have no boy's names we have agreed on yet. I guess we ought to get on that soon...

The other anniversary this week, in a few days, is that of our wedding. We actually have two dates for that, for reasons that will take longer to explain than I have right now, but suffice it to say that it is an interesting story and we have only been married once. Usually, though, we don't do much to celebrate either of them. We get so busy we sometimes barely notice it. For obvious reasons, last year, we didn't even think of it at all as we had other things on our mind at the time. It will be nine years now. It is amazing to me to think about all that has happened in that time. I guess nine years really is a long time. Which is good to know as I approach 40.

So two dates of significance this week, but I don't think we'll be celebrating anything. Though maybe we'll go out to eat next weekend. I don't know. I do know, though, that right now I feel thankful that everything is going relatively ok right now. I think it is important to stop and take notice of life when times are reasonably good. Savor it. Enjoy the moment. You never know how long it will last. I guess the standard line for that is to "stop and smell the roses." Well, I'm stopping and inhaling really deeply right now. Mmmmm, good.

2 comments:

Therum said...

Wow, was that really a year ago? That's crazy; I remember reading that post like it was yesterday, and thinking how traumatic that must've been for you guys. That was the first post I ever read on this blog, actually...

Well, you know. Good luck with the new baby, man =D

DBB said...

Yeah, it is hard to believe - time flies - though the post itself was only about nine months ago - I didn't post about it just after it happened - I actually started the blog about eight weeks after it happened.

Thanks for the sentiment. I am looking forward to baby two, but in some ways it feels like the calm before the storm - we will be very busy soon!