Friday, March 9, 2007

If a blog falls in a forest...

... and nobody reads it, is it still there? Such philosophical questions I will probably seldom ask and never attempt to answer. I bring it up because I suspect that I'm the only one reading this as of yet, so I feel no strong push to say much. There are plenty of blogs I read regularly, and I must admit I'm always disappointed when there are days with no new entries. So in that sense, I'd hate to disappoint someone. Thus far, I don't think I have to worry.

As promised, here's a bit about me.

I'm a lawyer. Not sure what else one can say about that, except to promise that I don't drink blood and I do go out during daylight hours, usually with no ill effects. Though I do admit I don't much like garlic.

I lean libertarian, but in the small 'l' sense of the word, not in the Libertarian Party sense of the word. I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat, and probably never will be either.

I'm someone quite content to not know something when I have insufficient information, as opposed to filling in the blanks with wishful thinking. As such, I am an atheist, and quite happy to be one. I know that one does not need religion for morality, or really, for anything, though I also understand that many cling to it like a warm blanket, a feeling I am familiar with because I used to carry around a blanket when I was a small child and my parents had to rip it away from me and hide it after a while because I would not give it up.

I have an interest in politics and history, though I'll likely never be involved with either except as a spectator. I have almost zero political skills, and though my interpersonal skills have vastly improved since my shy, sometimes painfully so, childhood, I'm no social butterfly and I am quite content to stay home all weekend, never leaving my pajamas. (Though that seldom happens these days). So not only am I nerdy looking, I am a certified nerd. Or whatever the equivalent term is these days. I lose track. I can explore that subject in greater detail later - for instance the sorts of recreation I enjoy.

I like to comment on topics that interest me, so I've commented often on other blogs. Sometimes there are things I want to say that don't seem to quite fit into the comments, and so I made this blog. Thus far, I think part of the reason I haven't posted much is that I am still commenting on other blogs, so my venting is vented out and I have little left for this. Maybe I'll try changing that by posting comments here instead of on other blogs, but then I can't participate in discussions. I'll have to think on that.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're leaning libertarian. If enough of us lean, we'll rock the boat!

Even if you're not a full Libertarian, you may be interested in http://DownsizeDC.org. It is working on some very important proposals, including one requiring Congressmen to read the bills they vote for. As a lawyer, I'm sure you can understand the importance of this!

Regards,
Rich

DBB said...

Thanks for the comment - you're obviously the first. I do wonder how many libertarians, leaning or otherwise, there are out there.

I often feel like I only have candidates to vote against, not for, in elections. It used to be thought that if you were libertarian, you should vote Republican, but now it seems that if you are libertarian, you need to vote Republicans out of office, which usually means holding your nose and voting Democratic.

I'll take a look at that site. I have little hope that things will be reformed by either of the current parties, and a third party is a wasted vote. So where does that leave us?

Having worked as a lawyer, I've seen the pathetic language that makes it into law. But I suspect some of it is deliberate - after all, the laws are written by lobbyists.

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm reading here!!! I'll be looking forward to timely updates as well!

DBB said...

Nice to know that the electrons that form this virtual playground have more company than just myself. I'm still getting used to this whole blogging thing. Now that I know at least one other person might be looking at it, I feel a bit more inspired to try and put my thoughts here (as opposed to spread out across the comments of a half-dozen other blogs).