Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A more positive view of being fired

This article posts a more positive view of being fired - consider it the libertarian take on what it means to lose a job.

I have to say, I agree with the sentiments. If anything, having a more positive outlook is much more conductive to getting a job in the first place. Nobody wants to work with someone who is down all the time or who is grumpy all the time.

I was very shocked and felt bad when I was laid off from my first professional job. But in the end, it worked out for me. It showed me that it was a bad profession to be in and gave me the impetus and opportunity to go to law school (even as I ended up working at that same profession again when I found another job before I started law school). In the end, I'm much happier being a lawyer than I would be if I were still stuck in my old professional life.

I don't think the world owes me a living. I know that I need to go out and make myself valuable for someone to want to hire me. I sure wouldn't pay someone to work for me that I didn't find valuable. Making a living is not an entitlement - you need to work at it. (Which is not to say that I advocate paying slave wages - I think there is a certain minimum amount you need to pay workers - as I've discussed before, but if one wants to earn above that, one needs to earn it, not just be handed it).

No comments: