Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising - A Mini Review

I finally watched my borrowed DVD of the Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising last night. And it was really good. For a very low budget, independent production, it was well made - extremely well made. But beyond that, it just had a great story and really showcased some things that anyone who has gamed since youth would appreciate.

The only (minor) complaint I would have is that a few of the players, who are all adults, act in ways that is much more reminiscent of early adolescents gaming than adult gaming. But then we are all kids at heart, and it isn't ridiculous (usually) - and finally, it is just plain funny. It reminds me of games played when I was younger. And how else can you really get the full flavor of gaming portrayed in a film?

It was just an excellent film and I found watching it satisfying on all levels, from just getting into the story as well as the game within the story and the portrayal of gaming itself. You see conflict between role players and players who wish to kill everything in sight, including at the end an explanation of why they might be doing that (an explanation that makes sense).

You see an evolution of the players' style as the game progresses. You see a new player learning the game, though it really doesn't get into rules much, it does get into them a lot at just the right moments in ways that are usually fun and humorous.

I don't want to get into more details for fear of spoiling the movie, though maybe I will at a later date with the spoiler warning attached. Suffice it to say for now that I am one satisfied gamer. Too bad this movie didn't get wide release. I'd pay to see it.

No comments: