Thursday, February 19, 2009

I don't care about the politics of movie makers

I don't care about the politics of movie makers. When I say that, I refer to the context of whether I'll actually enjoy a movie or not. For instance, while I think Mel Gibson is off his rocker and likey an anti-semite based on things he's done, that really doesn't stop me from enjoying his movies - nor would it stop me from going to see other movies of his. Because I don't go to Braveheart to see Mel Gibson - I go to be entertained and see a (fictional) William Wallace.

It is suspension of disbelief. A good actor should lose him or herself in a role and you should not see anything but the character. That's not to say that bad actors and acting don't have their charms as well. (See Surf Nazis Must Die). But again, I don't really care about or even want to know about the personal lives of the actors (nor the producers or director) for a film. I just don't care. That's not what I'm paying for. I'm paying for an escape. For entertainment. For fun. I want to laugh. Or cry. Or even be forced to think and wonder. If you get right down to it, I'm sure that, given the huge number of people involved in making a film, there isn't a single film out there without at least some completely unacceptably objectionable people who were in the crew or on the screen. So what? Even assholes gotta eat.

Now, I can understand a little someone wanting to boycott a film where the primary financial winner of the film is someone you'd rather not be enriching, but, to use Mel Gibson again as an example, he's rich as hell whether or not I go to see his latest film. And more to the point, given his past track record, the money is likely to go simply to making more movies, many of which I'm sure I'd enjoy, so why not contribute to the pot by buying a ticket to a film I enjoy?

There are things I'd never pay money for - like Left Behind movies or similar such tropes, but then even that may be more about the fact that these movies absolutely suck and are not entertaining rather than my concerns about funding the ass clowns that write and make such Christianist masterbatory material.

I'd have to say, though, that I'd characterize any movie review that goes into the personal politics of the stars as opposed to what is actually on screen also qualifies as a movie review that sucks. So shut up about the stars' politics, turn off the lights, and pass the popcorn! Its showtime!

No comments: