Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sex Post

There, that got your attention, didn't it? And no, this is not false advertising, because I am linking to an article that links sex differences to stone age sexual behavior.

Interesting food for thought. I wonder if this means that if monogomy ever becomes the norm if men and women will equalize in size (and lifespan) over time. Personally, I think I'd rather live longer. Note that what the article says also accounts for higher levels of male violence (against mostly males, but obviously, females can be victims too).

1 comment:

hedera said...

I saw that article, or a reference to it. It's an interesting suggestion. I would like to point out that the extended female life span assumes that she survives her childbearing years - a lot of women didn't, before the 20th century.

I have one for you, too: in the October Scientific American, there's an article called "The Trouble with Men" which has some solid statistical evidence that (1) sons shorten the mother's life span; (2) the presence of older brothers reduces a girl's likelihood of marrying, and the number of children she will have; and (3) the presence of a grandfather has a slightly negative effect on the number and survival of grandchildren.

Just to reassure you, this isn't a raging feminist with an axe to grind. This is a Finnish evolutionary biologist, studying church records (birth, marriage, death) of rural Finland between 1734 and 1888. I think you'd find it interesting.