Thursday, October 18, 2007

Swearing at $#&*^#$&*%^# Work

Here's an interesting article about how swearing at work is a teambuilding activity. I have to say, I think I've seen that in action, particularly on a really nasty IT project I did once where we were all herded like cattle into a room to work, a training room with no dividers. It was set up to have a computer class of about a dozen people. So we had 20 people in there. Such close proximity on such a nasty project led me to hear a lot of swearing from various people as they worked through the latest frustrations on the project. It did really bring us all together. We could feel everyone "share our pain" with each lovely four letter word uttered. Though I don't think I swore out loud much myself, I enjoyed hearing others swear where it was context appropriate. Freakin-A!

1 comment:

hedera said...

I know what you mean, and in the depths of a troubleshooting session it is satisfying to drop an occasional heart-felt "F-bomb" - what bugs me are the people for whom every second word is the "F-bomb." Get a vocabulary, people.