Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Missed Business Opportunity

It seems that the day after Obama got elected, gun sales have spiked, as have ammunition sales, as (completely unfounded) paranoid fears gripped the right-wing nutjobs out there about a suddent and imminent restriction on guns and ammo. This despite Obama never having said a single word about it during the election. It persists even now as no action has been taken by Obama to restrict firearms or ammo.

As I was listening on the radio about these nutjobs, who no doubt have been stirred up into a frenzy by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Michelle Malkin, and so forth, I kicked myself for missing such a great business opportunity. If only I knew just how nuts they were, I could have stocked up guns and ammo months in advance and then made a killing (pun intended) in the market as now prices are going up from the shortage.

Sure, it may seem like it is easy to see this in hindsight, but really, I should have seen it coming. I'm old enough to remember when Clinton first took office. Before he had done anything, the rabid right went absolutely nuts. The first thought I had about it was that the right-wing somehow sees the presidency as their god-given right and so for a democrat to be elected you basically have to have a deal with satan. Or at least that's the vibe I got. And the lunatic right has only gone deeper off the edge over the years since Clinton. So if I really thought about it, I should have seen this coming. Especially when you throw in the whole Aryan nation crowd into the mix.

Oh well. I guess I'm going to just have to work for a living, as planned. And I guess I'm going to have to put off buying my own firearms - they are too hard to get now - and cost too much. Just as well. With daycare costs and such, I really couldn't afford one now anyway. Maybe next time.

No comments: