Monday, June 23, 2008

Democrats with no spine: FISA revisited

Surprise surprise. The Democratic party, eager to once again surrender to the GOP, has completely caved in on FISA, giving Bush everything he wanted, including telecom immunity. Excuse me while I vomit in my mouth.

And just to make sure that all hope is smothered out of me, Barrack Obama has made sure to also surrender. I'd be more pissed than just depressed if I didn't also know that Hillary Clinton would have been equally mealy-mouthed on this. The only thing that could cheer me up now is to see both candidates unequivocally object to this, dragging along the Democratic Senate into stopping this atrocity. They need to call a press conference and make this front-page news. They have the power. They could stop it. But no, they are going to surrender.

I hope I can get the nasty taste out of my mouth. Excuse me while I go find a glass of water.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I thought Obama had pledged to lead a filibuster if pardoning the telecoms ever made it to the floor.

Although I guess this isn't the first time I've been disappointed in a politician that I still have to get behind because there's nobody better.

DBB said...

I hadn't heard that - but whether he pledged it or not, I would expect him to do it if he's to show true leadership.

Pressure is mounting now from Glenn Greenwald and others - hopefully it will be enough to get their asses moving, but I'm not holding my breath.

Disappointment sucks. Still, it isn't enough for me to want McCain to win. Half of the Democrats may have defected on this, but it was still 100% of the Republicans.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

DBB and Ben Affleck: Two pissed off, kindred spirits throwing up in their own mouths:

Ben Affleck Rages on Bill Maher: The Democrats are Weak!

Although this video is a little dated, your last two posts instantly made me think of it.