Friday, February 8, 2008

Password Annoyances

Grrr. I really really hate systems that force you to change your password every few months, especially where they don't let you reuse a previously used password. That annoys the hell out of me. It pretty much forces me to write down what my passwords are, something else security people supposedly say you should not do (though I've read others say that this isn't a problem as long as where you've written them is secure).

I have several passwords I've used for years, never written down, never told anyone, and there's zero chance anyone could ever guess them. What makes for a good password also makes for something that is hard to memorize. But those ultra-secure passwords are unusable on some systems I use at work because I have to change passwords - so now I have a lower-security, written down password instead.

I fail to see any point at all in forcing password changes except to annoy users and decrease security. And even if there was some security reason for it that wasn't total bullshit, that still has to be traded off against annoyance to users.

Glad I could get that off of my chest.

No comments: